Toddler Archie Tafts crushed to death by chest of drawers
A two-year-old boy has died after being crushed by a chest of drawers.
The incident happened at a family house in the village of Cloughmills, Co Antrim, on Tuesday and the child has been named locally as Archie Tafts.
It is understood the piece of furniture fell on top of the little boy who was taken to hospital for treatment but died later.
The PSNI said it was aware of the incident. The death is being treated as accidental.
A PSNI spokeswoman said: "As would be normal procedure with any sudden death, a report will be prepared for the information of the coroner."
Ulster Unionist assembly member Robin Swann expressed his sympathy to the family.
Tragic news emerging in regards to the unfortunate death of a 2 year old outside Cloughmills, thoughts & prayers with family at his time.— Robin Swann (@Robin_Swann_MLA) January 6, 2016
DUP councillor John Finlay said he was "totally stunned and greatly saddened" at the news.
"His family is from Cloughmills and his grandparents and great grandparents still live in the village. Indeed, the young boy had been visiting his great granny and granda earlier on the day of his death.
"My heart goes out to his grieving parents, grandparents, great grandparents and the broader family circle. I just want to assure them that the community is thinking of them and praying for them at this time”.
Sinn Fein North Antrim assembly member Daithi McKay said the child's death would shock the community.
"I send my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of this child at this sad and difficult time."