Police investigate Willie Frazer video discussing court case relating to alleged sexual assault of baby
THE PSNI is investigating a video featuring loyalist victims campaigner Willie Frazer speaking about a man who has appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting a baby.
It is understood the video was posted on Facebook last week but later removed.
During the short film Mr Frazer speaks about the alleged sexual assault on the two-week-old baby boy from Annalong in Co Down.
Strict court restrictions have been placed on the reporting of the case and police have issued a warning to members of the public commenting on social media about the “extremely emotive incident”.
In a message posted on the Craigavon PSNI Facebook page police have said they are now investigating the video.
“Many people have messaged us and also phoned regarding a video that emerged online several nights ago,” they said.
“We can confirm an investigation is now underway.
“We'll be liaising with PPS during the course of this investigation to determine what if any offences have been committed.”
Officers in Newry and Mourne had previously said on Facebook that they have deleted some comments containing threats and “others which are just completely inappropriate”.
“This little one needs justice,” they said.
“Justice will not be able to be fully served if social media comments spiral out of control.”
A 25-year-old man has been charged with sexually assaulting and causing grievous bodily harm to the infant.
He is alleged to have carried out the attack on September 29.
The infant is being treated at the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children.
The accused made a brief appearance at Armagh Magistrates Court on Tuesday to hear the charges read to him.