Prosecutors claim that man shot at Ardoyne Fleadh returned to the scene 'armed with a machete'
A MAN shot at a north Belfast festival allegedly returned to the scene armed with a machete, the High Court heard yesterday.
Prosecutors claimed members of the public had to disarm 31-year-old John Paul Magennis when he went back to last month's Ardoyne Fleadh brandishing the blade.
Magennis, of Oldpark Road in the city, told police he had been in shock and believed it was a golf club.
He faces a charge of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.
Crown lawyer Kate McKay said Magennis was shot in the leg while attending the Fleadh on August 25.
But instead of seeking medical attention, he allegedly went home and then returned to he festival carrying a machete.
Police were then alerted to a man in the area armed with what was described as a sword.
According to Mrs McKay a number of people managed to intervene and take the weapon from Magennis.
The court heard the weapon had some blood on it when it was handed in, although no-one has reported being injured by it.
Following hospital treatment for his wound, Magennis told police he had found the machete near a local school after being shot and running away.
"He said he believed it was a golf club, picked it up and ran down to where he had been shot, looking for the person who had shot him," Mrs McKay added.
Defence counsel Michael Boyd disputed prosecution assertions that his client was the intended target.
"He was hit mistakenly by whoever was wielding the firearm, he had not been subject to any threat," the barrister argued.
"He should never have armed himself with this weapon, but he did so in the aftermath of a very serious incident that he did not initiate."
Granting bail, Judge Patrick Kinney ordered Magennis to abide by a curfew and alcohol ban.