Carl Frampton's legal action against Barry McGuigan 'due for new year'
BELFAST boxer Carl Frampton's legal action against his former manager Barry McGuigan is expected to be heard in court in the new year.
A preliminary hearing is due next month before a date for the full case is scheduled, Frampton's solicitor John Finucane said.
Frampton lodged proceedings in February against Barry McGuigan, his wife Sandra McGuigan and Cyclone Promotions, alleging a failure to pay him significant sums of money during his time with the firm.
The counter-claim lawsuit came after legal action launched by Cyclone Promotions against Frampton over an alleged breach of contract.
A judge ruled earlier this year that Frampton's legal challenge would be heard in Northern Ireland.
Mr Finucane told The Irish News "there are a lot of things that need to come out" in his client's case.
"We're back again on September 11 and that should be short enough and then the case will be timetabled," he said.
"We'll be going for a full hearing in the new year. Barry and Sandra and possibly other members of the McGuigan family will be giving evidence, Carl will be giving evidence, there will be many people giving evidence."
Frampton (31) had been managed by McGuigan (57) since turning professional in 2009, winning world titles in two different weight categories.
The pair once displayed a very close relationship, but strain on the partnership began to show in the months before Frampton's split with Cyclone was confirmed in 2017.