News

Man stable following gas leak at house in Cookstown that claimed his wife's life

Susan Henry, who was aged in her sixties, died following a gas leak at her home at Drum Road in Cookstown
Marie Louise McConville

A MAN, whose wife died following a carbon monoxide leak at their home in Co Tyrone, remained in a stable condition in hospital last night.

Desmond Henry is being treated in Craigavon Area Hospital after being taken from a house in the Drum Road area of Cookstown early on Tuesday.

His wife, Susan, who was in her sixties, died following the gas leak. It is understood their home had not been fitted with a working carbon monoxide alarm.

Another person, believed to be the couple's grown-up daughter, was treated for carbon monoxide inhalation and transferred to hospital but later discharged.

Four ambulances and a hazardous response paramedic had been called to the property, where the family are understood to have lived for decades, at around 6.45am on Tuesday.

Treatment was administered at the scene but Mrs Henry was declared dead shortly afterwards.

Firefighters who took gas readings from inside the house found significant levels of carbon monoxide.

Gas readings were also taken from neighbouring houses and two properties were evacuated for a short time as a precaution.

Known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odourless gas, once breathed in, it enters the bloodstream and prevents oxygen being carried around the body, eventually leading to death.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access

News

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: