Omagh Remembrance Sunday ceremony goes ahead after pipe bomb alert
A REMEMBRANCE Sunday wreath-laying ceremony has taken place in Omagh, a week after it was cancelled due to a security alert.
The event was postponed last Sunday after a pipe bomb was left near the town's war memorial.
Police said that they were following a "strong line of enquiry" that dissident republicans were responsible.
PSNI's Chief Constable George Hamilton described it as "sickening and appalling".
The ceremony went ahead yesterday in front of a crowd of hundreds of people, who watched as a parade and wreath-laying took place.
Richard Scott, the chairman of the Royal British Legion's Omagh branch, said they would not be cowed by those who would wish to disrupt the service.
"It has been fantastic and has given us the strength to carry on today, to finish off what we started last week," he said.
"We can't be cowed, we have to carry on.
"We were determined last week to hold at least part of our annual service. Today, we had to complete that journey, because it's not just for us.
"It's for the many thousands out there that have relatives who have lost their lives in conflicts since the First World War."