News

Petrol-bomb attack on Ballymena house

Ballymena petrol bomb attack

A MAN has told how he and one of his sons are "lucky to be alive" after a petrol bomb attack on his Ballymena home.

Noel Campbell, who has more than 300 criminal convictions, was attacked at his home at Edward Street in the Harryville area of Ballymena on Thursday night.

"A petrol bomb came through the living room window and landed a few feet from one of my sons," Campbell (59) said.

"Thankfully it didn't ignite fully and my son was able to get water from the kitchen and put out the flames. I'm almost 60 and have had five heart attacks. We are lucky to be alive, we could have been killed."

He said he did not know why his home was targeted but added: "I'm not moving for anybody".

He is originally from Larne and said he left there after his house was attacked a number of times.

Campbell, once referred to in a court as "notorious", added: "I did my time in jail".

Detective Sergeant Pete Crothers said: “Police received a report just before midnight that the living room window of the property had been smashed and a petrol bomb thrown into the living room, causing smoke damage to the curtains. The occupants of the house managed to extinguish the fire.

“Another petrol bomb was located, smashed outside the property. A bedroom window was also smashed.

“We are appealing to anyone who was in the Edward Street area around the time of the incident and saw any suspicious activity or vehicles in the area to contact detectives at Ballymena on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 1563 28/09/17."

 

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Become a subscriber and get full access

News

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: