Frampton fight could go ahead before Christmas
Plans to reschedule the cancelled fight between Belfast boxer Carl Frampton and Mexican Andres Gutierrez are underway, with hopes that the two fighters might meet before Christmas.
The fight was was cancelled after Gutierrez, 24, slipped in the shower on Friday and suffered facial cuts and two broken teeth.
Featherweight Frampton, 30, had earlier weighed in for the fight one pound over the nine stone limit.
This meant had the fight gone ahead it would not have been a WBC title eliminator.
Cyclone Promotions released a statement saying; "Since the accident on Friday night and subsequent event cancellation, Cyclone Promotions, the SSE Arena, the Gutierrez management team, boxing authorities and relevant broadcasters have been working to agree a new date for the fight.
"We appreciate the patience of all ticket holders who can retain their tickets pending confirmation of a rescheduled fight. For anyone wishing to arrange a refund, further details will be released early next week.
However, Barry McGuigan's company did not respond to an Irish News query as to why Frampton resigned as a director of Cyclone Promotions earlier this month.
Writing in his Sunday Life column the Tiger's Bay boxer made no mention of his resignation but said it had been a "horrible" few days and that he was angry with himself for not making the weight.
"I don't think my mind was on my game in camp as much as it should have been", he said.
"The mind is so powerful, you have to be in a good place mentally and compared to previous camps that probably wasn't the case".
He added that he was going t take some time out but hoped to be back in the ring before Christmas.