News

Man remanded over bomb alert in Derry

A DERRY man has been remanded in custody charged in connection with the finding of a suspect device that led to a security alert.

Bernard Cooke (24) of Melrose Terrace in the city was charged with communicating false information to the police and placing a hoax bomb on July 14.

Cooke was connected to the charges and a police officer opposed bail.

He told the court that police received a 999 call on Friday night claiming there was a device at an address in Clooney Terrace.

The caller gave a false name.

Police went to the scene and found a device which they eventually declared to be an elaborate hoax.

It consisted of a metal pipe with a lace designed to appear as a fuse and it was declared 'non-viable.'

Police traced the phone call to a 58-year-old man who denied making a call but who told police he had been in Cooke's company.

Police were told that Cooke borrowed the man's phone then left his flat and CCTV bore this out.

He was seen returning 10 minutes later wearing slightly different clothes.

When he was arrested Cooke denied the offences and then made no comment interviews.

The officer said they opposed bail on the grounds that there was a risk of re-offending.

He said the motive behind the incident was unclear but they had received reports that Cooke had had a dispute with the person where the device was left.

Defence solicitor Keith Kyle said that a suitable address might be found but the officer said that given the trouble Cooke had taken with the device police would not approve of any address in the city as "distance would be no barrier.".

Deputy District Judge Liam McStay said that there were not suitable conditions in which to grant bail and remanded Cooke in custody to appear again on August 10.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Become a subscriber and get full access

News

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: