Gerard Quinn stabbing details revealed in court

Medics at Altnagelvin Hospital battled for five hours to save the life of a father of one who sustained a fatal stab wound to his neck, a court has heard.

Staff at the Derry hospital made a "sustained but ultimately doomed" effort when Gerard Quinn was admitted on the evening of Saturday May 21 last year.

The wound to the 24-year old father of one's neck - which was caused by being struck with a vodka bottle - was so catastrophic that despite blood transfusions and attempts at resusitation, he was pronounced dead at 4.22am on Sunday May 22nd, surrounded by his family.

As details of the fatal stabbing were revealed for the first time yesterday at Derry Crown Court, sitting in Belfast, a barrister acting for the youth who admitted causing the fatal wound expressed his "heartfelt apologies and regret", adding the incident will "haunt him for the rest of his life."

The defendant, who was 16 when he unlawfully killed Gerard Quinn during a violent melee in the Curryneiran area of the city, was told he will be sentenced next week for the manslaughter. Also wounded by the youth with the same vodka bottle was the deceased's twin brother, Michael.

Defence barrister Brian McCartney QC, representing the youth, said that in May 2016 his client was a 16-year old looking forward to the rest of his life - but all that changed when his friend was attacked "by men he had never met before."

Pointing out the incident only lasted a few seconds, Mr McCartney said his client "reacted in a spontaneous and impulsive manner" which had devastating consequences.

Revealing the youth is currently studying for A Levels whilst on remand at Hydebank YOC, Mr McCartney spoke of his client's good background, lack of criminal record and the fact he not only handed himself in to police, but also provided a full account of what happened.

Mr Justice Treacy remanded the youth back to Hydebank and said he would pass sentence next Friday.


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: