Co Armagh man cleared of bomb plot
A Co Armagh man has been cleared of bomb charges.
Seamus McGuigan, from Lurgan, was acquitted after a four day trial held earlier this month at Belfast crown court.
He had been accused of possessing a mobile phone and SIM card in suspicious circumstances on dates between October 8 and October 18, 2013
The charges arose from the discovery of a bomb, fitted with a mobile phone, close to a special needs school at Sloan Street in Lurgan.
It later emerged that the bombers had attempted to remotely detonate the device by phone up four times before abandoning it.
A call was later made to Criagavon Area Hospital by a man claiming to be from the Real IRA and using a codeword warning that the bomb had been left at the school.
The device was discovered behind a wall the next day by police.
Mr McGuigan had denied any involvement in the bomb plot.
During yesterday's court hearing Judge Geoffrey Miller QC said: “I have concluded that in this case the evidence against the defendant does not satisfy that required standard and in these circumstances the defendant must be acquitted."
Mr McGuigan's solicitor, Peter Corrigan, of KRW Law, said: "The court has rightly held that our client had no role in this incident."