News

Department declines to comment on whether list of RHI claimants not covered by court order will be published

Economy Minister Simon Hamilton has again declined to indicate whether he intends publishing the names of RHI claimants not covered by the court order. Picture by Mal McCann

THE Department for the Economy has again declined to comment on whether it intends to publish the names of RHI claimants who are not covered by a temporary court injunction.

Economy minister Simon Hamilton had previously said he would publish a full list of all RHI claimants on Wednesday, but an interim court order on Tuesday stopped the details of around 400 people being published.

The injunction applies only to people who were members of the Renewable Heat Association (RHA) at 5pm on Tuesday.

However, that leaves almost 1,500 claimants who are not covered by the injunction, including the four per cent of recipients who said they would consent to their names being published.

The department did not respond to requests for comment yesterday on whether it would publish those names, or on whether it intends to challenge the injunction.

The court order is expected to be in place until a decision is made in the judicial review case next week.

Michael Doran, chairman of the RHA, said that there had been a "spike" of people applying to join the group between 3pm and 5pm on Tuesday following the announcement of the injunction.

Mr Doran told the BBC that more than 100 names had been added to the 300 existing members in the immediate aftermath of the judge's ruling.

A statement from the Department for the Economy on Tuesday said: "The minister is considering the court judgment and will reflect on options to ensure maximum transparency on the details of non-domestic RHI recipients consistent with the court ruling."

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: