News

Inquest into death of aspiring footballer and chef fixed for November

Sean Paul Carnahan, pictured with his mother Tracey Carnahan, died five months after he was admitted to Belfast City Hospital with a severe brain injury

AN inquest into the death of an aspiring young footballer and chef has been fixed for three days at the end of next month.

Belfast Coroner's Court will hear the inquest into the death of Sean Paul Carnahan from November 28 to November 30, coroner Joe McCrisken confirmed yesterday.

Mr Carnahan, from Beechmount Grove in west Belfast, died in July 2013 – five months after he was admitted to Belfast City Hospital with a severe brain injury.

Although the barrister for the coroner said he would be unavailable on the dates in question, Mr McCrisken expressed his desire to press ahead with the inquest.

"The next available dates are March so I do wish to press ahead with those dates in November. We don't want another Christmas going by, the delay doesn't help anyone in this case," he said.

The court was told that a report by an independent specialist into the case has been received by the coroner and is to be furnished to the Trust before the inquest in November.

In September, his mother Tracey Carnahan said she believed he was neglected during a prolonged stay in hospital.

At a hearing last month the court was told the 22-year-old weighed just 32kg when a post-mortem examination was carried out.

Mr Carnahan was taken into hospital in March 2013 after a failed suicide attempt.

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: