Motorcyclist Eddie Hall (28) had taken drugs and alcohol before death, inquest told

Floral tributes at the scene at Fife Street in north Belfast where motorcyclist Eddie Hall motorcyclist was killed. Picture by Hugh Russell 
Gareth McKeown

A 28-YEAR-OLD Newtownabbey chef who died after he lost control of his motorbike, hitting a metal pole, had alcohol and drugs in his system at the time of the crash.

Eddie Hall, of Forthill Drive, died following the accident at the junction of Fife Street and the York Road in north Belfast on July 11 last year.

A toxicology report revealed that Mr Hall was two times over the drink drive limit and had low levels of cocaine, amphetamines and ecstasy in his system.

His friend of nine years, Ian Gillespie, gave evidence at the inquest in Belfast on Monday and said that the previous evening Mr Hall called to his home at Parkmount Street off the York Road in Belfast where he had three or four beers before heading on to a party in the White City area at around 2am.

At around 4am Mr Hall, who drank two more beers, left the party saying he had to work at 10.30am and was given a lift by his friend back his house in Parkmount Street to get his backpack.

Mr Hall then got on his motorbike to travel the short distance to his flat on Shore Road.

Forensic scientist Damien Coll said it appeared Mr Hall had tried to negotiate a sweeping left bend on the country-bound lane of York Road but had not done so sufficiently, causing the bike to move to the right, hitting the kerb on the central island of the road.

After he lost control of the bike it struck a metal post, unseating Mr Coll.

The inquest heard that while it appeared the victim was wearing his helmet, but had not properly secured the strap on it before setting off.

Dr Alastair Bentley's postmortem report showed that a brain injury and multiple fractures suffered by Mr Hall would have been "rapidly fatal".

Coroner Suzanne Anderson further noted the blood alcohol levels and drugs in his system may have impacted upon his driving.

Speaking directly to the victim's mother, the coroner added: "My very deepest of sympathies on the tragic and untimely death of your son Eddie."

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 to get full access