Injured driver able to spend Christmas with baby son
A DELIVERY driver who was robbed after being knocked unconscious by a brick thrown at his car in west Belfast, has been released from hospital in time to spend Christmas with wife and baby son.
The man does not want to be identified but showed the severe head injuries he suffered following the attack earlier this month.
He has been left with memory loss and will remain off work while the extent of his injuries is fully assessed, but his wife said they were hopeful he would make a full recovery.
The Chinese couple also offered heartfelt thanks to the community for rallying in the wake of the attack and for a generous cash donation made anonymously through the Irish News yesterday.
The man, who works for a Chinese takeaway in west Belfast, was attacked as he made a delivery to a house in Albert Street, in the lower Falls area around 10pm on December 13.
Police said a brick was thrown through the driver side window of the moving car, causing the man to lose control of his vehicle and crash into the fence of a home close to St Peter's Cathedral.
The man was then robbed and had his pockets emptied as he lay unconscious at the wheel of his car.
His wife told how she feared he would be in hospital over Christmas leaving her alone with their four month-old baby son.
Sinn Féin MLA Fra McCann described the incident as "a disgrace" and said that the man could have been killed.
Speaking yesterday the woman offered heartfelt thanks to the community for rallying and said she would like to meet the person who made the anonymous cash donation which they intend to give back to the community.
"We really appreciate the support and I would really like to find the person who donated this money so I can thank them."
She added: "We will keep the money in the shop. This money came from the community and we want to use it in the community...we can give it to someone or a charity in the area that needs our help."