News

Manhunt underway for Paris suspect amid reports of three brothers involved in attacks

 Prayers, candles and cards are placed at Republique Square in Paris. The military parades the Arc De Triomphe in the Champs Elysees

THREE brothers were involved in the Paris attacks that claimed 129 lives - one of whom may still be at large, it has been reported. French police say one probable attacker is now on the run and an international warrant has been issued for his arrest. Authorities have appealed for information to trace Salah Abdeslam, whom is described as 'dangerous', in connection with the Paris attacks. Meanwhile the Irish Dail and Northern Ireland Assembly will fall silent next week as politicians on both sides of the border pay tribute to the victims of the Paris attacks.

Of the three brothers, one died in the attacks late Friday and one is in custody in Belgium, but it is unclear whether he took part in the rampage, while the third either took part and died during the attacks or is at large, RTE and other media outlets reported.

Meanwhile the Irish Dail and Northern Ireland Assembly will fall silent next week as politicians on both sides of the border pay tribute to the victims of the Paris attacks.

The acts of remembrance by the two legislatures in Dublin and Belfast follow public vigils across the island in the wake of Friday's violence.

The one Irish citizen injured in the attacks in France remained in a stable condition in hospital on Sunday.

It is understood the man sustained gunshot wounds in the mass shootings at the Bataclan theatre.

 

On Sunday the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin said there remained no indication any other Irish citizens were caught up in the bloodshed.

Thousands of people marched in O'Connell Street in Dublin city centre to show solidarity with the French people on Saturday while hundreds attended a candlelit vigil in Galway later that night.

In Belfast, the City Hall was illuminated in the colours of the French tricolour.

On Monday, Northern Ireland Assembly members at Stormont will be invited to attend a minute's silence in the Great Hall of Parliament Buildings. The opening of Assembly business will also be set aside for MLAs to express condolences.

Similar events will take place on the next day of scheduled business in the Dail on Tuesday.

The Irish government's chief whip, Paul Kehoe TD, said: "The atrocities in Paris have appalled the Irish people and, as is fitting, the national parliament will mark these terrible events when business resumes on Tuesday with a minute's silence in memory of the victims, followed by statements to express our sympathy and solidarity with their families, friends and all of the French people on behalf of the Irish people."

In Northern Ireland, newly-elected SDLP leader Colum Eastwood paid tribute to the Paris victims at the party's conference in Armagh.

"We in this small part of Europe know what it's like to face the threat of violence," he said.

"We also know and understand the words of Victor Hugo - 'Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise'.

"Our thoughts and prayers go to the people of France and Paris, and we stand in solidarity with them." 

Officials close to the investigation into the horror attacks have indicated that Kalashnikovs of the sort used during the attacks in Paris were found in a black Seat abandoned in an eastern suburb of the capital.

Witnesses have said the car, found in Montreuil, was used by attackers at multiple locations on Friday night.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said that the Seat had been used in the attacks.

That it was allegedly a getaway vehicle, linked to the attacks on the Carillon bar and at a Cambodian restaurant, is adding to speculation that some of the attackers or their accomplices are still at large. 

A Frenchman who is thought to have hired another car used in the attacks was stopped at the Belgian border yesterday morning, along with two other people, Mr Molins said.

The Belgian prosecutor said the two vehicles used by the Paris attackers were rented in Belgium and that two of the attackers were Frenchmen who lived in Brussels.

French police have identified one of the assailants in the coordinated attacks as Ismael Omar Mostefai, a 29-year-old French national.

Seven of his relatives are being questioned, sources and French media said.

Authorities had a dossier on Mostefai that marked him as a potential Islamist militant.

He also had previous arrest records and had been sentenced eight times for petty crimes, according to French newspaper Le Monde.

Mostefai was one of the gunmen who blew himself up in a Paris concert hall where most of the deaths from the attacks on Friday took place.

He is reported to have been identified by fingerprints on a severed finger found at the Bataclan.

His father, a brother and five other people are being held for questioning, several French media reported, as the hunt continued for others involved in the shootings.

 

The reports said searches were also being conducted in the relatives' homes in the northeastern Aube region and in Essonne, south of Paris.

Father-of-one Mostefai was born in Courcouronnes, a southern suburb of Paris and lived in Chartres, southwest of the capital.

He is suspected to have stayed in Syria between 2013 and 2014, Le Monde reported.

Mr Molins said investigators believed three coordinated teams had carried out the wave of attacks across Paris.

They were the worst in Europe since the Madrid train bombings of 2004, in which Islamists killed 191 people.

Friday's attacks were described as an "act of war" by President Francois Hollande.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said that 103 bodies had been identified with 20 to 30 more still awaiting identification.

"They will be (identified) in the coming hours," said Mr Valls outside the Ecole Militaire where a centre has been set up for the victims' families.

"These are not anonymous victims. They are lives, young people, who have been targeted while they spent a quiet evening in a cafe, or at a concert," Mr Valls told reporters.

"No psychologist, no volunteer, no doctor can console them," he said of the grieving families.

"But we must help them with the process, with identifications, to accompany them... through all the administrative tasks."

News

Today's horoscope

Horoscope


See a different horoscope: