Netting a Bargain: Get financially fit in the new year with cashback, hot deals and moneysaving expert help
Jonathan Campbell rounds up the best deals on the web and the high street
- AS YOU count the cost of Christmas and the sales, your new year's resolution might well be to get financially fit. Bargain hunters know how to sniff out a keen deal but there are ways to make small, regular savings on purchases all year round. Cashback sites such as Quidco and TopCashBack are worth a look. You sign up and then do your online shopping (although sometimes bricks-and-mortar shops take part too) using the special links from either site. Your transaction is tracked and within a few weeks or months you get back a percentage of what you spent. It's particularly satisfying when you splash out on a holiday and get £50 or so back later in the year. Even better - you can get cashback on the things everyone hates having to buy, such as home insurance. Find out more at www.quidco.com and www.topcashback.co.uk.
- Before you buy anything (or if you're just looking for gift ideas inspiration), it's worth taking a look at www.hotukdeals.com to see whether there's a special offer on that item. The site flags up bargains spotted by its users who post details. Readers of site then vote the deal hot or not. Be warned - it is really helpful but also addictive. You might find yourself ordering a toilet seat you don't need just because someone has noticed that a shop is selling it with 90 per cent off.
- Unless you've been living under a rock, you'll probably have heard of the well established ‘consumer revenge' site www.moneysavingexpert.com. Even if you do live under a rock, MSE will probably be able to save you money on your mortgage repayments for that stone-constructed home. Sign up for the weekly deals and tips email or browse the forums and guides to learn how to avoid shedding pounds (of the sterling kind, that is). There's sound advice on consumer rights too.
- Finally, here's a tip to whet your appetite until the short-lived sales deals end and we get back to the column's regular offers in the new year. Kids eat free at Yo! Sushi during the holidays, when accompanied by an adult who spends at least £10 on food. For every adult who spends £10, one child aged 12 or under can eat free. If you spend £20, two kids can eat free and so on. The kids' meal includes one starter, one main and one drink from the Mini Ninja Meal Deal menu. A dessert from this menu can be added for £1.50. The offer is available for dine-in only but can be used all day, every day until January 6. For full terms and conditions go to https://yosushi.com/kidseatfree.
DID YOU MISS?
- Buy a Whopper at Burger King before the end of December and you'll get a voucher for a second one free, redeemable in January. Check at the till to see whether the restaurant is participating.
- Buy anything at Fat Face before the end of December and get a voucher for £10 off a minimum spend of £60 on full-price goods between January 16 and February 10.
Details accurate at time of going to print. Offers subject to availability. If you see a TinyURL link in this article, it's just a convenient way of redirecting you to a web page that would otherwise have a long address.