Driving abroad for your summer holidays? Here's a handy insurance checklist

If you are involved in an accident, make sure to take photos of the vehicles involved and their registration numbers

AS THE great summer getaway continues, motorists heading for a European escape by car are being urged to take care.

Insurance company Admiral says the number of claims for accidents abroad it has dealt with has risen 9 per cent in the plast 12 months and 150 per cent in the past five years, with the month of August seeing spikes in overseas claims.

Here's a checklist for driving abroad, just to be on the safe side:

1. Take your documents – including your certificate of motor insurance, driving licence and the vehicle registration document abroad with you.

2. Ensure you save the contact details for your insurance company into your phone.

3. Make sure you have sufficient travel insurance for you and your family as many motor insurance policies will only cover the car and not onward travel for you and your luggage.

4. If you are involved in an accident, make a note of where the accident happened, including the date and time. Use your smartphone's map function to see the exact location and take a screenshot.

5. Take pictures of the accident at a safe distance. Also take photos of the vehicles involved; make sure you have a good photo of the registration number on the front and back of all vehicles.

6. Take all witness details, names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.

7. Ask the local authority to recover the car if you can. Make sure you have their address and contact details and make sure you know where they are taking your car.

8. Most importantly, remain calm, stay safe and phone your car insurer, and your travel insurer if you need onward travel.

Enjoy reading the Irish News?

Subscribe from just £1 for the first month to get full access


Today's horoscope


See a different horoscope: