Netting A Bargain: How to save money and get free stuff throughout 2018
Jonathan Campbell rounds up the best deals on the web and the high street
NEVER mind worrying about your post-holiday waistline - after the Christmas spending splurge, your new year’s resolution might well be to gain pounds by getting your finances into better shape. This week, as well as the usual one-off deal tips, I’ll tell you how to get regular discounts and freebies with minimal effort.
- HERE’S a time-limited deal that will be of 'ferry' great interest to anyone planning on a trip to Scotland this year. Book a P&O sailing on the Larne-Cairnryan route by January 2 (for travel any time until December 20) and get 20 per cent off as well as a free flexi-ticket upgrade worth an additional £40. You’ll need the code 20DISCGB1. For full terms and conditions go to www.poferries.com, click on the Larne-Cairnryan route and then look for the banner that says ‘early booking offer’. The quick link is https://tinyurl.com/yc5gh4ju. Phone bookings are subject to a £5 surcharge.
- Spend a one-off £1.50 and you’ll get two cinema tickets for the price of one every Tuesday and Wednesday for a year. Consumer website www.moneysavingexpert.com explains how at https://tinyurl.com/y8s8qcd8.
- Ordering takeaway? Delivery service www.just-eat.co.uk has an ongoing offer for 20 to 30 per cent off selected restaurants. Enter your postcode and look for a red flag icon beside the names of the eateries listed in your area.
- Lovers of fried chicken can join KFC’s Colonel’s Club loyalty scheme for discounts and freebies. Also, the first time you register with the smartphone app you’ll receive enough bonus points for a free side dish. Find out more at www.kfc.co.uk/colonelsclub.
- Join Ikea’s Family Club and as well as being eligible for special offers (such as an extra 10 per cent off sale items until January 7) you’ll get a free tea or filter coffee in store every weekday. Find out more at www.ikea.co.uk/family.
- Because this column is written weekly and a few days ahead of publication, lots of short-dated deals don’t make it to print. You’ll find many of them at www.hotukdeals.com, my go-to site for bargain gift ideas or how to save on shopping, utilities, holidays and almost everything else.
- If I had room to offer just one piece of advice, I would say: Check out MoneySavingExpert. It has a regularly updated shopping vouchers page at https://tinyurl.com/yc36jfa6 to reduce your groceries bill.
Details accurate at time of going to print. Offers subject to availability. If you see a TinyURL link in this article, it’s just a convenient way of redirecting you to a web page that would otherwise have a long address.