Arts Q&A: Folk singer Eddie Furey on Vivaldi, Rory Gallagher and Errol Flynn
Jenny Lee puts performers and artists on the spot about what really matters to them. This week, one half of Ireland's most influential folk and traditional bands, Eddie Furey
1. When did you think about a career in performing and what were your first steps into it?When my father told me it was music or else a pick and shovel. There was always music in our house and we learned our craft from an early age.
2. Best gigs you've been to? The Cambridge Folk Festival, The All Ireland Trad festival of 1963 and the Edinburgh Festival of 1967.
3. Fantasy wedding/birthday party band? John Lennon on guitar and vocals, Rod Stewart vocals, Elton John on piano and vocals and Rory Gallagher on guitar and vocals.
4. The record you'd take to a desert island? Vivaldi – Four Seasons because it's so peaceful, relaxing and idyllic to add to the desert island atmosphere.
5. And the book? Best Tales Of The Yukon by Robert Service – one of the great books.
6. Top three films? The Count of Monte Christo, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Adventures of Robin Hood,with Errol Flynn.
7. Worst film you've seen? Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? with Bette Davis and Jane Crawford.
8. Favourite authors? Clive Cussler and Ian Rankin.
9. Sport you most enjoy and top team? I won't pick one as I enjoy all sports and the team I get to see most is the Dublin GAA team as we take it easy during the summer months. I get to attend most of their Championship games.
10. Ideal holiday destination? Because of our music we have travelled the world and have seen some of the greatest landmarks, but my personal choice for holiday is any coastal area in Ireland.
11. Pet hate? People driving around roundabouts and not indicating where they intend turning off and being in the wrong lane.
12. What's your favourite:
Dinner? Cabbage, bacon and potatoes in their skin.
Dessert? Apple tart and custard.
Drink? A bottle of Guinness.
13. Who is your best friend and how do you know each other? This is an impossible question to answer – I have too many great friends to single out one and if I do I might not have as many great friends as I had before they read this.
14. Is there a God? When I die I will come back and tell you! Seriously, I think there is. I have faith and believe there is something after we pass on.
:: The Fureys bring their 40-year music legacy to Derry's Millennium Forum (millenniumforum.co.uk) on 27 December and Belfast Waterfront (waterfront.co.uk) on 12 January.