Arts Q&A: Tenor Jonathan Answell on Miranda Hart, Bruno Mars and Roald Dahl
Jenny Lee puts performers and artists on the spot about what really matters to them. This week, Jonathan Ansell, former lead singer of G4
1. When did you think about a career in music and what were your first steps into it? I was four years old at my grandfather’s house and I told the family I wanted to sing for them. I insisted everyone be quiet and listen to me. I guess my desire to sing came at a young age. I went on to be a boy treble in the West Sussex Boys choir who travelled to the USA to perform. After school I was lucky enough to go to the Guildhall Conservatoire of Music and Drama.
2. Best gigs you’ve been to? Bruno Mars at the Leeds Arena in 2017, Miranda Hart at the Leeds Arena in 2016 and Michael Buble at London's O2 in 2010.
3. Fantasy wedding/birthday party band? Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran performing together.
4. The record you’d take to a desert island? Nessun Dorma – it’s a monumental classic.
5. And the book? I’m not a big reader – so probably a book on fishing at sea so I can ensure we have enough food to eat.
6. Top three films? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – the original of course; Patch Adams because it's such an emotional film and Saw because I love a good horror.
7. Worst film you’ve seen? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – the remake. They ruined one of the best classic movies of all time.
8. Favourite authors? I’ll share my daughter's favourites at the moment – David Walliams, Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton.
9. Sport you most enjoy and top team? Fishing and cross-fit training.
10. Ideal holiday destination? A remote lakeside cottage with plenty of fishing and beautiful scenery. The perfect destination for peace and calm.
11. Pet hate? Negative people.
12. What’s your favourite:
Dinner? Fresh fish with lots of greens.
Dessert? Sticky toffee pudding.
Drink? Double espresso.
13. Who is your best friend and how do you know each other? Tom and Ollie – I went to school with both of them and we have been lifelong friends.
14. Is there a God? Not that I’ve ever seen.
:: Musical theatre leading men and former X Factor stars Rhydian Roberts and Jonathan Ansell, bring their Les Musicals tour to Hastings hotels in October, featuring hits from the West End and Broadway. Jonathan and Rhydian will take to the stage at the Everglades Hotel, Derry, on October 11, the Stormont Hotel, Belfast, on October 12 and the Culloden Estate & Spa (dinner and show) on October 13. Tickets at Ticketmaster.co.uk