Arts Q&A: Jimmy Osmond on Elvis, Taylor Swift and his ultimate party band
Jenny Lee puts performers and artists on the spot about what really matters to them. This week, singer Jimmy Osmond, who this year celebrates 50 years in show business
1. When did you think about a career in music and what were your first steps into it? I never really thought about being in showbiz. Walt Disney discovered my brothers and then Andy Williams put them on his show as regulars and I just joined when I was three. I thought every kid did what I did and now over 50 years later, here I still am.
2. Best gigs you've been to? As a performer, singing for the queen of England (1972 and in 2003) and performing for Elvis Presley at the Hilton and being deemed the first, and youngest, Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas. As an audience member two of my favourite concerts were Taylor Swift's Reputation concert in Denver and the original Hell Freezes Over Tour by The Eagles, in Arizona.
3. Fantasy birthday party band? Phil Collins on drums, Paul McCartney on bass, Eric Clapton on guitar, Billy Joel on keys and Fergie on vocals.
4. The record you'd take to a desert island and why? Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac's Landslide, because you can play it over and over and over again and never get sick of it.
5. And the book? The Bible and the Book of Mormon, because you can read them over and over again and learn something new every time.
6. Top three films? Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Ant-Man And The Wasp and anything James Bond.
7. Worst film you've seen? Sharknado. Watch it and you'll know why it's so horrible.
8. Favourite authors? Stephen Covey and Thomas S Monson.
9. Sport you most enjoy and top team? American football and the San Francisco 49ers. Liverpool Football Club is my soccer team.
10. Ideal holiday destination? Hawaii.
11. Pet hate? I'm an easy-going guy, but if I had to pick something it's probably road rage.
12. What's your favourite:
Dinner? Anything from The Ivy in London.
Dessert? Homemade ice cream.
Drink? Hot chocolate.
13. Who is your best friend and how do you know each other? Michelle Larson. I married her 27 years ago, we have four kids and are still best friends.
14. Is there a God? Absolutely.
:: Jimmy Osmond will be singing the songs of Andy Williams, as well as a few of his own hits, in Moon River and Me, which comes to Belfast's Ulster Hall on September 6 (ulsterhall.co.uk) and Derry's Millennium Forum on September 9 (millenniumforum.co.uk). The only official Andy Williams tribute show features award-winning music, nostalgic footage and special memories of the late much loved US singer.